Skip to Content Text Size A+ A A- Contrast Scheme: A A
pdktop
     Home arrow Blood Bank arrow Blood Bank Pudukkottai
 

BLOOD BANK

District Head - Quarters Hospital

Pudukkottai

 
 

In 1818, Dr. James Blundell, a British obstetrician, performed the first successful transfusion of human blood to a patient for the treatment of post parturm hemorrhage using the patient's husband  as a donor.

When  the Second World War broke out in 1939, the British Govt's medical advisers realized that large a number of blood transfusions  were likely  to be needed for military and civilian casualities and that for  this purpose, great quantities of blood group tested serum  would be necessary. The only blood group system of clinical importance then  known was, the ABO system.

The present District Head Quarters Hospital, Pudukkottai has been functioning since 14th  October, 1851, as His Highness The Rajah's Free Hospital. This Hospital was established in the name of JOHN BLACKBURNE ESQUIRE, an inscription in this regard found  in the Head Quarters Hospital.

In  1930 a blood investigation lab was established  in the Head Quarters Hospital. In 1974, the Hospital was declared as District Head Quarters  Hospital. As per  the records   the Blood Transfusion  service started  with the first voluntary blood donor, a student of  H.H. The Rajah's College named  Mr. Thirugnanasambandam who is at present a senior advocate in Pudukkottai donated  blood on 22.11.1974

The concept of Voluntary blood donation was introduced in India in the year  1991. But even before that  year, H.H. The Rajah's College  had taken a lead in the voluntary Blood Donation Movement.

In earlier days, the main blood donors were  the  patient's relatives and  professional  donors. After the  Supreme  Court judgement in 1996, the professional  blood  donors were banned. During early days, the blood collection could amount to only 200 units per year which includes the contribution of  20% voluntary blood donors.

With the effective motivation and proper planning of  blood donation programmes  by the collective efforts of District Collector, Joint Director of Health Services, blood bank Medical Officers  and  their staff and  voluntary organizations we have reached the  target  of  100% voluntary blood donation.

It is a matter  of  great joy  and pride that during the years 2002 and 2003 TANSACS  awarded a Rolling Cup and  Merit Certificate to our Blood Bank as best  blood bank  in Tamil Nadu among the non-teaching Hospitals.

bb-award

Now our Blood Bank has formed more than 90 blood donor clubs among the public in Pudukkottai. The Pudukkottai District has a Federation of Voluntary Blood Donors Club with more than  2000 donors. And the blood bank of pudukkottai has the enrolment of more than 5000 donors at present. This federation was registered under Societies Act. The Pudukkottai District has a number of Arts & Science Colleges, Engineering Colleges, Polytechnic Colleges, ITI Institutions, Teacher Training Institutions  Catering Colleges and B.Ed., Colleges. All the faculty and students of the above mentioned institutions are donating blood to the Blood Bank.

 
 

Page Last Updated On :13/01/2017
Disclaimer
The Site Designed and developed by National Informatics Centre, Pudukkottai.
The Contents owned and maintained by District Administration, Pudukkottai District.
For Details Contact The District Collector, email : collrpdk[at]nic[dot]in
Best Viewed with 1024x768 resolution
 
 

top